[mythtv-users] 4-digit channel change on a Comcast firewire STB (DCT-6200)

lists.md301 lists.md301 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 17:07:32 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> > 2012-03-19 19:34:19.710 RingBuf(myth://
> > 192.168.1.253:6543/5225_20120319193419.mpg) Warning: Not starting read
> > ahead thread, already running
> > 2012-03-19 19:34:20.433 RingBuf(myth://
> > 192.168.1.253:6543/5225_20120319193419.mpg): Waited 0.2 seconds for
> data to
> > become available... 28108<  32768

> again, that's not a channel number.  We actually can't use channel
> number, here, because dong so would mean we could have 2 different
> recordings that need to use the same file name (because any number of
> channels may be given the same channel number).

Understood, and makes sense once I'm pointed in the right direction.  I
have had reason to look at the mysql entries related to channels, so I'm
somewhat familiar with their structure.  You raise the issue I was
concerned about:  the non-uniqueness of the channel number. I was thinking
of the case where <chanid> would NOT be unique:  because as I understand it
(and maybe I'm wrong), it's a composite of the <sourceid> and channel
number.  So I could see a very corner case scenario where channels 1225 and
225 have the same start time and duration, which would make the backend
want to create 2 mpeg files of the same name.  Now maybe there's some other
uniquification step (on new channel creation in mythtv-setup) I'm
unfamiliar with that would prevent that.  If that's the case, someone
manually editing channel data in mysql (ahem) could set the conditions for
this corner case.

> > If you'd like me to repeat this with more detailed logging and/or open a
> > ticket, I'm certainly willing.  It would be my first, but I'll figure it
> > out.
>
> Thanks for looking into it.  For now, no need for a ticket.

Understood.  I wasn't looking to have anyone fix a low priority issue, just
wanted to raise it while it was a fresh in my mind and make sure about it.
Thanks.