[mythtv-users] Help with unbreaking channels.conf import for 0.25 appreciated

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Mar 20 22:42:30 UTC 2012

On 20/03/12 16:57, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 20/03/12 15:40, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 03/20/2012 05:02 AM, Karl Dietz wrote:
>>> I'd like to fix the channels.conf import but I've run out of time
>>> (I'm relocating in a week) and my simple patch doesn't work as expected.
>>>
>>> As the channel scanner has some subtle bugs you can make many other
>>> users happy if they can fall back to an external scanner (like w_scan)
>>> for the 0.25 cycle.
>>
>> Of course, fixing* the actual MythTV channel scanner would also make
>> users happy.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> *Or at least creating detailed bug reports for those subtle bugs.
>
> I think it's worth reporting that I took my laptop from the region
> served by one dvb-t transmitter in the UK last weekend into the region
> served by another, and retuning almost worked as intended; that's with
> 0.24-fixes as of last November.
>
> I have a dvb-t/dvb-t2  usb nanostick.  In the mythtv-setup transport
> editor I created a new transport with the known frequency of the dvb-t2
> (HD) multiplex, 8MHz BW and QAM256 modulation.  I then scanned this as a
> 'known transport' with 'ignore timeouts' (may be irrelevant) and 'link
> to other transports'. After that my old transports had been deleted and
> four new ones had been found, with netids and transportids showing in
> the editor.

I've just returned and reverted to my normal transmitter, and I think I
may have misremembered this.  I think I must have deleted all the old
transports before starting the scan of the single HD transport and any
linked transports; without this the transports of both transmitters show
and the usual confusion reigns.  And my reference to 'not needing to do
a new channel scan' below, while true, is perhaps misleading.  The
results of the transport scan provide the channel info used thereafter.
  It /was/ all quite quick and straightforward but not quite as I
remembered and described it earlier.  Sorry.

And Karl - thanks for your note about the 'low hanging fruit' and ticket
#10217

  I have not yet detected the fifth SD multiplex from that