[mythtv-users] Problem Recovering Recording Group password

Andrew McCauley ajmccauley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:08:37 UTC 2012

On Mar 21, 2012 10:25 AM, "Science Technician" <
SCITECH2 at combebank.kent.sch.uk> wrote:

> I really hope someone can help me with what is a stupid problem of my
> own making.
>
> I was looking to set a password for a recording group and have managed
> to set the password for 'All Recordings'
>
> What is now worse is that despite the fact that I always use the same
> password across the MythTV system
> I must have made a typo (possibly I had caps lock on) and having tried
> over 20 possible variants have drawn a blank.
>
> So I googled for a reset command and found
>
> mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'SELECT * FROM recgrouppassword;'
>
> But all I get is a request for a password which when I use the standard
> password I set for the system is
>
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using
> password: YES)
>
>  I also found the following command to use with mysql:
>
> delete recgrouppassword where recgroup =
'thenameofthegroupyouwanttoreset';

> typing this just gives me a mysql Syntax error.
>
>  So my questions are
>
> Is it likely the mysql password would be different to the root password
> and is there any way to find out/reset it if that
> is what is causing the first problem?

In my setup, the mysql password is different from the root password.
However  ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt contains the mysql password. I do not know if
the sql statments above will work, but at least you should be able to log
in to mysql.