[mythtv-users] Tuner card for DVB-S in Switzerland with Viaccess support

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Mar 23 18:16:42 UTC 2012

On 3/23/2012 08:31, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> I'm planning to switch from analog TV to DVB-S. I live in Switzerland
> and already have the Viaccess keycard from the Swiss television
> association [1].
>
> I think I need something to access the keycard and of course the DVB-S
> decoder card. Is there such a card with two tuners on it like the
> PVR-500 I'm using for analog TV?

MythTV does not directly support encrypted television of any sort.  What
it receives from the tuner device must be unencrypted video.  For DVB
users, this typically means one must make use of the standard CI system,
where you have a tuner card with a Common Interface slot, a Conditional
Access Module that gets inserted into that slot to handle decryption of
content, and a Smartcard that gets inserted into the CAM for the
decryption keys.  In order to handle encrypted content, the tuner device
captures the broadcast, passes it into the CAM for decryption, pulls it
back out of the CAM and sends it unencrypted through the Linux drivers
for MythTV to access and record it.