[mythtv-users] scan for changes

Joe Mythtv joe.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 02:51:38 UTC 2012

My content is all local to a single backend. It's not striped across an
array, it all lives on two 5400rpm spindles. Maybe the issue is volume? It
takes me about 35 seconds to rescan 15k pictures, 15k mp3s, and 10k video
files.

As Mark mentioned, linux caching could be the reason some scans are much
faster - if I clear out the cache (by rebooting or with echo 1 >
/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches) the scan takes about 5 minutes to finish. I wish
there were a command line way to initiate the scan - I could run my own
script to look at the 'new footage' folder and rescan when I see new files.