[mythtv-users] Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?

Tapani Tarvainen mythtv at tapanitarvainen.fi
Mon Mar 26 13:41:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 08:26:36AM -0400, Raymond Wagner (raymond at wagnerrp.com) wrote:

> >Error: MythTV is using all inputs but there are no active recordings?

> Often that means the backend has determined it has no write access
> to storage, and has such disabled all of its local tuners.

That wasn't it, but thank you for the suggestion, it lead me
to the right track:

In /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log:

2012-03-26 09:49:38.249 DVBChan(1:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0) Error: Failed to open DVB frontend device due to fatal error or too many attempts.

and:

ls -l /dev/dvb/adapter*/frontend0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 3 2012-03-26 16:34 /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 7 2012-03-26 16:34 /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0

I'm not quite sure what exactly those should be or what'd changed
them (I suspect apt-get upgrade - yeah, I know, but...)
Anyway, I did

usermod -G video mythtv

and it works again. :-)
Changing the ownership/permissions of those device files would've
presumably worked as well, but I'm guessing usermod like that
is more robust against updates &c.

--
Tapani Tarvainen