[mythtv-users] pluggable mythtranscode

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Mar 26 19:35:57 UTC 2012

On 12-03-26 03:05 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> Skiplists and cutlist are all stored against frame numbers.

As I thought.

> If your
> framecounts remain identical, commercial flagging data should pass
> through unharmed.

Makes sense.

>  Running a deinterlace or detelecine filter during
> transcoding would make all that information invalid,

Again, makes sense.

> of course there
> should be no use to it.  Better to apply the cutlist at the same time,
> or do so before hand with lossless transcode, rather than bother
> transcoding all that video.

That's true, if commflagging were accurate and/or I wanted to spend time
manually fixing it.  But sadly commflagging seems to have become
woefully inaccurate lately and "advisory" (so only really useful durin
playback where errors just mean ff/rew).  During 0.23-0.24 I seem to
recall being entirely impressed with my ability to use the commflag keys
to skip commercials with near 100% accuracy.

Sadly this accuracy seems to have gone way down.  Frequently, I can
visually see the black/blank frames where commercials start and end yet
there are no commercials flagged at that point.  Frequently also I get a
single commercial break flagged and then all subsequent ones are not and
I only get "at end of recording, can't skip" type errors.

Of course, a deteline operation has a known and predictable effect on
frame numbers.  I suppose one could mathematically fix up the flagging
values to account for the 29.97/24 framerate reduction.

Cheers,
b.