[mythtv-users] How to configure a HVR-1300 for analog TV

Tony Sauri hoiho.nz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 20:07:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:56, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On 03/26/2012 11:51 PM, Tony Sauri wrote:
> > There are in fact 3 devices on the card
> >
> > a) A traditional Analogue Frame Grabber /dev/video0
> > b) An IVTV style Analogue MPEG Encoder   /dev/video1
> > c) A DVB-T Capture Device		/dev/dvb/adapter? .....
> >
> > Each of the Analogue devices support 3 different inputs :
> > 	0 - TV (Antenna)
> > 	1 - Composite
> > 	2 - SVideo
> >
> > To configure the Analogue Devices in myth-setup
> > 	Add a new capture card  The system will choose to setup the /dev/video0
> > 	device and seems to take sensible defaults.
> > 	Complete any additional fields according to your requirements and
> > "Finish" Add a new capture card. The system will again choose the
> > /dev/video0 device with the same defaults.  Now change the card type to
> > the "IVTV MPEG encoder" you will get a probe failed message. Now enter
> > the dev address /dev/video1 and the system will now be happy with your
> > choices.
>
> Thanks.
>
> OK, so now I have a V4L analog device at /dev/video0 and IVTV MPEG
> encoder at /dev/video1
>
> I would think that tuning and thus having a "Video Source" assigned is
> solely the business of the analog device and that the 2 devices need to
> be connected somehow. But I do not see how the label "Video Source"
> makes any sense, do not see any option to connect the 2.

No.  You misunderstand the term Video Source.  A source is a feed of programme
information so that MythTv knows what programmes are on when and on which
channels.  There is an application system (XMLTV and NOT part of mythtv) that
is concerned with providing feeds of such TV programme information in a
standard format.  MythTV makes use of this XMLTV data.

If you don't have internet access you will be unable to access an XMLTV feed
and so it is unlikely that you will get a lot of functionality out of MythTV
and another TV viewing application such as TV-time or TV viewer is more
appropriate to your needs at the moment.

> So I created a "no grabber" video source, because the machine currently
> lacks an internet connection. I assigned this source for the analog
> device's Television input, triggered a scan.
>
> Somewhere I read that there's no need for channel scan for analogue, but
> I really have no clue and feel to have even less after googling around.

On the one hand there are physicall channels your tuner can be tuned to.  On
the other hand there should be a feed of information about programmes
including start/stop times and broadcast channel (Note that this channel may
be a logical channel and may not actually represent the real physical channel
that carries the programme in your area).

> The result is that "Watch TV" shows all channels as solid black. I did
> not find an option to tell the frontend from where to get the signal.

When you do your add card there is an option to define your default input
device for the card.  In my experience it is usually populated with
Television but can be set to Composite or SVideo.

What interface  do you have to the Cable signal?  Do you plug the cable
directly into th RF socket of the card or Do you have a STB that provides an
A/V or SVideo output?

> Actually only the (physical) Television input is in use.

This sounds as if you have a RF feed to the card

Have you made sure you have selected the correct TV R?F standards for your
part of the world ... the default is North America  and your date/Time
information UTC +2:00 indicates to me that you are probably in western
Europe.  Getting this correct is critical to tuning the correct channels.

IIRC one other thing you have to do is set up some recording profiles through

Mythfrontend -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Recording Profiles.

Tony Sauri