[mythtv-users] How to configure a HVR-1300 for analog TV

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Wed Mar 28 08:51:06 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 10:07 PM, Tony Sauri wrote:

> If you don't have internet access you will be unable to access an XMLTV feed
> and so it is unlikely that you will get a lot of functionality out of MythTV
> and another TV viewing application such as TV-time or TV viewer is more
> appropriate to your needs at the moment.

To be fixed soon with a WLAN card. Meanwhile, I'd like to be able to
record, where programming manually with channel and times is OK.

Anyway, I still assume the tuner/tuning belongs to the analogue V4L
device? Being able to scan channels for either device confounds me.

Is it correct to hook up the Television ports of both devices to the
same Video Source?

How do the V4L and the IVTV MPEG encoder interact, or are they to be
treated as completely independent units?

> What interface  do you have to the Cable signal?  Do you plug the cable
> directly into th RF socket of the card or Do you have a STB that provides an
> A/V or SVideo output?

Wall plug -> Y-splitter -> cable -> RF Socket

(Interestingly, the TV shows stripes on the picture, as soon as the HTPC
is powered up. That is, TV set to its own input from the other side of
the Y-splitter.)

> Have you made sure you have selected the correct TV R?F standards for your
> part of the world ... the default is North America  and your date/Time
> information UTC +2:00 indicates to me that you are probably in western
> Europe.  Getting this correct is critical to tuning the correct channels.

Germany. Selected PAL-BG, europe-west.

I just learned that setting "Input Connections: Preset tuner to channel"
to 3 or 4, which I now know to be wrong, results in all black, while
using 36 results in noise.

> IIRC one other thing you have to do is set up some recording profiles through
>
> Mythfrontend ->  Setup ->  TV Settings ->  Recording Profiles.

The presets there look like they should do.

I tried mplayer /dev/video1 and got a good picture once, but after
trying the same with video0, video1 delivers just noise again.

tvtime-scanner -d /dev/video1 claims "no signal" the whole time, so far.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/