[mythtv-users] Upgrading from pre-0.22 MythTV versions

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Mar 29 08:38:07 UTC 2012

On 29 Mar 2012, at 05:20, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:

> P.S.  I'm also still trying to determine if I can -guarantee- that
> any 0.24 version -will not- attempt to upgrade a random older Myth it
> happens to see on the network, no matter whether I'm running its
> backend, frontend, setup, etc, and maybe even if it's not the very
> latest 0.24-fixes [because who knows what version I might wind up
> getting], and if not, which ports should I firewall so I can test
> safely?  I want to be able to run 0.24-fixes, and later 0.25, for
> quite time to to test everything, while my much older production myth
> is online and operating.  Tnx.

I was caught out by this when testing a 0.24 system in parallel to my 0.23 one! Fortunately I was able to restore the db from backup before any important recordings were missed.

While different subnets is the safest approach that's not often practical, I have firewalled the mysql 3306 port on my live system from my test system and set a different mysql password for belt and braces peace of mind.

Andre