[mythtv-users] Access Mythtv from Roku

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Thu Mar 29 11:33:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012, at 05:57 AM, Scott Stancil wrote:

  I use Plex to get my video to the Roku, since it will do the
  transcoding on the fly. That way I don't have to keep two
  copies of all the recordings.  I just use mythlink to populate
  the folder Plex looks at...I found this format to work well:

[1]mythlink.pl --link /var/lib/mythtv/plex/ --format %U/%T/%T\
%pY-%pm-%pd\ %ph:%pi

I don't keep two copies of the same recording - I replace the
.mpg with the .mp4 when I am done transcoding and update the
database.

I don't have the processing power on my machines to transcode on
the fly. :(\

Also, the nice thing about the mythrokuplayer is that you can
delete from the roku and has the info from mythweb about the
episode.

I basically just have syndicated shows show up on my roku -
reruns of family guy and the simpsons, with the commericals cut
out - Wipeout, AFV, Ask this Old House, things like that.  The
syndicated shows have strict recording rules so they drop off
after 10-12 episodes so if I watch them, great, if not, no
biggie, they'll go away without taking up too much room.

When I record an oddball show, if I want it to show up, I just
tick off that rule, otherwise it will only show up on the
frontends...
--
Kris B.
[2]krisbee at krisbee.com