[mythtv-users] How to configure a HVR-1300 for analog TV

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sat Mar 31 10:32:28 UTC 2012

On 03/28/2012 11:04 PM, Tony Sauri wrote:

> Now the final piece to keep in mind is that there is only 1 tuner on the card
> that is shared by both /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 (and by the DVB-T device
> too).  So obviously the tuner is single threaded and you should not try to
> use it in two devices at the same time.
>
> So yes you should consider he /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 devices as
> completely independant.

> I would of thought that all cable suppliers would have gone to encrypted
> streams requiring a STB by now.

That's basically the reason I go with analogue at all, as I'm not OK
with those business practices.

> This may mean some interference / signal degradation introduced by the
> splitter ... you may have to eventually replace the splitter with an
> amplified splitter.

Thanks, will investigate later.

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:14, Nick Rout wrote:
>> forget video0, you really don't want the uncompressed video.
>>
> I fully agree with this and think you should delete the /dev/video0 card

I tried unloading the kernel module, but c88_blackbird requires cx8800.
After deleting the V4L card entry, I tried configuring the IVTV device
as video0, but that makes myth-frontend die on trying to watch-tv.

Now with nothing about the drivers changed, a single IVTV capture card
configured in the backend at video1, watch-tv does work, somewhat!

That is, the initial channel does work, with reasonable picture quality
and audio, but:
- the audio stream is down-sampled somehow (as if it was played back
with a too slow rate, only that the tempo seemed right).
- channel switching does not work. if i try via arrow keys up/down,
enter, the screen goes black and the frontend freezes, until it is
restarted sometime later

Any ideas on that?

Many thanks for clearing up matters to this point!

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/