[mythtv-users] 0.25 problems with UPnP

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue May 1 18:15:02 UTC 2012

I think it's time for a brief summary of my findings with UPnP, my new
Panasonic Series E5 TV, and MythTV 0.24-fixes and 0.25-fixes.

First: when it works it works well.  I'm using wired ethernet behind a
router.  Playback is excellent and I haven't seen anything on recorded
broadcast material (SD DVB-T and HD DVB-T2) that looks as if there might
be any attempt to limit video performance. In comparison with
Mythfrontend, navigation through large libraries of content is fairly
basic.  During playback ff/fb is available from the remote; I don't
suppose that variable speed is,though.

Now the problems, 0.25 first.

Recordings are in MPEG-TS format, and play.  If you transcode somehow to
MPEG-PS format (eg lossless Mythtranscode), as I usually do, the
recording doesn't play.

Videos: both MPEG-TS and MPEG-PS play.  A short .mp4 clip from 2DF that
Stefan Brackertz uploaded here a few weeks ago also plays. A MythVideo
scan of a previously empty Video Group lists everything twice, with
minor differences, and further scans add more copies.

0.24-fixes:

Recordings play, both MPEG-TS and MPEG-PS.  For Videos I see only a
VideoRoot folder with one unplayable 'Mythburn' item;  I tried dropping
another video file into the only folder I could find that already had a
video of that name, and it didn't show.  Google suggests this is an old
problem and 0.25 uses a different scanning mechanism. I think my Video
folders and VideoGroups are properly set up.

Since I expect to move over to 0.25 sooner or later the biggest problem
for me is the failure to play transcoded recordings presented as
recordings.  The fact that this can be done in 0.24 suggests that the
problem isn't in the TV.

I'm delighted with what I've seen so far - but it would be nice to get
that difficulty sorted out.  And oh, yes:  I have a large collection of
MythArchive DVDs that play fine from a standalone player; any prospect
of playing them (variable speed) through the internal player and UPnP?  :-)

Cheers,

John P