[mythtv-users] Myth 0.21 expiring ALL shows too soon with TONS of disk space available

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 3 03:27:10 UTC 2012

On 05/02/2012 10:19 PM, DFishburn wrote:
>>> Ryan: Before you start the upgrade to 0.24, please be aware that
>>> there are some circumstances where the upgrade from schema 1215 to
>>> 1216 apparently does nothing for nearly 8 hours before it finally
>>> finishes the upgrade.
>>
>> If you use current 0.24-fixes to do the upgrade, you shouldn't have
>> that problem (and, assuming your database schema/data isn't
>> corrupt--i.e. due to invalid encoding, i.e. if you had been running a
>> MySQL server set up with UTF-8 as the default character
>> set--shouldn't have other problems).
>>
> Hmmm,
>
> collation_database: latin1_swedish_ci
> character_set_database: latin1

Yes, that's good.  For a 0.21-fixes or below database, that's what you need.

> I just did some Google searches on how to change the collation of a
> mysql database.
>
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Convert_latin1_to_UTF-8_in_MySQL
>
> It is somewhat involved and the above link provides 3 different
> approaches.

If you convert to UTF-8 (or if you had been running with a misconfigured
system where your MythTV database was using UTF-8), the upgrade would fail

> I was reading this thread:
>
> Which seems to imply the charset conversion will be automatic.

because it will attempt to do a conversion to UTF-8.

> Assuming I run this before the upgrade, is there anything else I need
> to worry about from a MythTV perspective?

Don't run anything--just let MythTV do the upgrade.

> Will anything break?
> Or do I have to update any config files or settings to accommodate
> this change?

Nope.  Once you've upgraded to 0.22 or later schema, you should be good
with any server configuration.

Mike