[mythtv-users] Safe way to downgrade from 0.25 back to 0.24?

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Fri May 4 05:48:59 UTC 2012

On 04.05.2012 04:29, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> Nope, h264 is just better (well, ok, a lot better, and also A LOT
> slower at encoding), but mpeg4 is clearly superior to mpeg2 (thus: I
> use it to record from frame grabbers).  Trust me, I did A LOT of tests
> with video codecs a few years ago, including: mpeg2, mpeg4, mjpeg,
> Theora, DivX, xvid, x264 (same as h264?, well, I used x264) (as far as
> I can remember).  All in all, x264 is really good (best for now?),
> mpeg4 is good specially with 2-pass (and relatively fast), and mpeg2,
> well, it is good and proven, but I when given the choice, I would
> certainly use mpeg4 over mpeg2 any day.

just a small note, when talking about MPEG4 in broadcast context it is
always H.264 (aka MPEG-4 Part 10), not to be confused with DixX & Co.
which are MPEG-4 Part 2.

And to add something to the discussion, you can add a user job to
transcode the recordings with mythffmpeg, see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:User_Job_Scripts
e.g.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/High_Quality_Transcode combined with others
to add obeying the cut list (I overrecord up to 55 minutes per episode
due to some stations running late up to ~40 minutes at night and at
45 minutes recording to keep and 55 minutes to drop that saves a lot
of space, even with lossless transcode)
Then you can quickly set cut marks and fire off the cut and trancode job
with a few clicks.

Btw, I'm suggesting that script as it targets H.264/AAC in MP4 files
which appear to be compatible with lots of players, so you only have
to transcode once and can watch it on lots of devices.
E.g if you want to play around with a cheap Raspberry Pi later, that
thing only has H.264 hardware support.

Regards,
Karl