[mythtv-users] Does .25 still use find_orphans.py

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat May 5 17:18:50 UTC 2012

On 05/05/2012 12:58 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
> On May 5, 2012 11:39 AM, "Brent Bolin" wrote:
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py says it's compatible with
>>> 0.25
>>> However, if you actually need to run it frequently (where once a week is
>>> extremely frequently), there's a serious problem with your system.  It
>>> should only be required when you have a hard drive failure (or if
>>> someone is
>>> deleting files outside of MythTV, in which case, you should fix the
>>> behavior, not the symptom).
>> What should the permissions be on /var/lib/mythtv dirs
>>
>> ubuntu 10.04 .24 fixes
> Like you I am running .24 in  Ubuntu which I installed as mythbuntu and it
> (I think) includes JAMU.  I have a lot of my recordings set to transcode
> and hence those recordings get a new extension.

FWIW, mythtranscode will delete the previews from the original recording
if a) you applied a cutlist or b) if you did a non-lossless transcode,
resulting in the file being changed from a .mpg to a .nuv file.  If
you're using a custom script or transcode application that doesn't use
mythtranscode, you should do the same.

>   I have a lot of orphaned
> snapshots everything I run mythlink. They all appear to be snapshots
> retrieved before or during transcoding.

snapshots = links?

If so, running mythlink will delete the existing links in the
destination directory and subdirectories before it creates new links.
(If you're using the "single-file" mythlink approach as a user job or
system event, as described at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl ,
you'll need to do as mentioned in the Note box:  "*Note:* You will also
need to run mythlink.pl separately to remove old symlinks. See Usage
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl#Usage>."

>    I assumed that was just a timing
> issue and nothing really fixable.
>
> Is this what you are experiencing?
> I'm not sure about the permissions. Mine has mythtv as the owner and group.

You'll need to have read and write for files and read and write and
execute for directories (and at least read and execute for parent
directories) for the user running mythbackend.

Chances are that the problem is actually permissions.  If, for example,
you kick off a transcode using the frontend (versus a queued transcode
using the backend), it will run as the user running the frontend.  So,
if you have different users running mythbackend and mythfrontend (or,
multiple users running mythlink or ...), it can cause problems and
prevent MythTV from just "doing the right thing", as it was designed..

Mike