[mythtv-users] how ofter do you update?

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Mon May 7 13:19:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012, at 07:42 AM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:, Kevin
Johnson <[1]dabears_rule at yahoo.com> wrote:

  Hi all.
  Just curious as to how often everyone updates?  Right now,
  everything is working well so I see no need to update anything.
  But I am concerned about security.  My systems are behind a modem
  with the firewall enabled, and a router that also has a fire
  wall.  Besides that, its linux.  So do you update regularly or
  what?

The OS?  Never.  I treat it like an appliance that once it works
I never touch until I have to.  So if a Myth upgrade requires
newer versions of packages, I upgrade those as needed, etc.
Saves a lot of headache when things break because you upgraded
the OS and all it's packages only to find it breaks something.

I am the same way - everything is already behind a firewall,
change your passwords every once in awhile - why upgrade?
Usually your browser and flash is where the security is a concern
- and you can just keep updating that...

It is such a disruption to upgrade, not to mention all the little
tweaks and changes you make along the way... unless there is a
need to upgrade to a new version of QT or whatever to make your
favorite apps work (I had to do this due to the DVD cataloging
program I used :(  ) just stick where you are.  At least that is
my philosophy.

And with myth, I don't want to ever upset the wife with breaking
the TV! :)  Or me, for that matter - I would rather live with the
one or two quirks I see than risk new ones, not to mention the
possibility of fouling up everything I have worked so hard to get
down for us.

Having said that, so far it seems every 4-5 years is the upgrade
schedule at the house here - with a slow changeover with dual
booting until everything works as intended.  Two years after the
fact, and I ran a program that I still had to consult the older
distro to see what the settings/configuration was to make it work
in my setup.

--
Kris B.
[2]krisbee at krisbee.com