[mythtv-users] HD Homerun virtual tuners and cableco QAM channel remapping

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon May 7 17:34:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 5:11 PM, lists.md301 <lists.md301 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ...  Perhaps it would be a good idea
> to make mention of input groups with
> virtual tuners in the documentation,
> but I'm unsure myself where the best
>  place for this would be (or I would do
> it myself).  Or if it is already, and I've
> missed it, feel free to ignore
> this suggestion.

The business logic of the MythTV database
is not exclusively in the database, and as
such, I do not know there is any better
recommendation other than "there be dragons
there" along with the ever present "No user
serviceable parts inside, do not open".  Any
such documentation as to how not to break
the database for particular point fixes would
imply that editing the database is a possible
option (and then you get more breakage as
others try to edit the database)(*).

It reminds me of the old joke:
  Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
  Doctor: "Stop doing that."

Mike has been consistent on this point.

Gary

(*) Your database, your decisions.  However
you really need to understand that when you
do it, you are on your own.