[mythtv-users] Is mythfrontend's AirPlay support supposed to be audio-only or audio-and-video?

Scott Alfter scott at alfter.us
Mon May 7 19:31:16 UTC 2012

On 5/4/2012 15:29, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 5 May 2012 07:43, Scott Alfter<scott-sender-2f809c at alfter.us>  wrote:
>> I'm only getting one device for the frontend, with a speaker icon next to
>> it...an indicator of an audio-only device?
>
> Note that in master I have fixed most issues people would have been
> experiencing with AirPlay.
> The main one being that the device is seen in iOS/iTunes but nothing
> happens when you try to play.

I've gotten my problem sorted out.  Setting MYTHTV_AIRPLAY in either (1)
/etc/local.d/mythfrontend.start or (2) ~/.ratpoisonrc wasn't working.  I ended
up creating a short shell script that sets MYTHTV_AIRPLAY and then starts
mythfrontend.  Once that was done, I could stream video podcasts and YouTube
videos without issues.  IIRC, the output selector shows two devices: one
audio/video, the other audio-only.

> There is a change of behaviour too, in that the airplay device appears
> like an AppleTV does:
> in music you see one speaker device
> and in video, you see one audio/video device
>
> You won't see two devices anymore one doing nothing in iOS Music, and
> in Video app: one doing just audio and one doing audio+video.
>
> I might add the ability to control that behaviour later if people feel
> like they want audio only output in video playback (so the video plays
> locally on the iPhone/iPad and the audio plays on myth frontend)

In my little bit of experimentation so far, audio and video aren't
synchronized when the audio is streamed to the frontend and video remains on
the iDevice.  Unless that's solvable, I'd think that retaining audio-only
output for video playback would be of limited utility.

Showing only one device per frontend would be more useful IMHO.  The output
selector could get crowded pretty quickly if you have multiple frontends each
causing two devices to show up.

Scott Alfter
scott at alfter.us