[mythtv-users] Post upgrade 0.24 to 0.25 PVR-150/250/350 fail to record at some point

Michael Harnden mike at rochestervball.com
Tue May 8 20:17:14 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, May 08, 2012 11:36:35 AM Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/08/2012 07:44 AM, Michael Harnden wrote:
> > Quoting Kenan Ezal:
> >> Summary of problem:
> >>
> >> After I reboot both my master backend and slave backend I schedule
> >> recordings (that are currently on) to test my three tuners
> >> (PVR-250/PVR-150 on master backend and PVR-350 on slave backend). All
> >> three tuners record their respective shows and I am able to play back
> >> during recording. I delete the shows and try again for a different
> >> set of programs on different channels. Once again everything works
> >> and I am pleased thinking my kids will be happy with the new Mickey
> >> Mouse Clubhouse show that is scheduled to be recorded the next morning.
> >>
> >> The following morning I wake up to find that the first show that was
> >> scheduled for recording at 2am (Phineas and Ferb) recorded fine
> >> although the backend did report a database error (see below).
> >> However, the second show (Doc McStuffins at 7:30am) and the third
> >> show (Mickey Mouse Club House at 8am) did not record, although they
> >> show up in grey on my list of recordings. All three shows were
> >> scheduled to use Tuner 1 (PVR-250).
> >>
> >> I am puzzled so I sellect three other shows (such as the highly
> >> provocative "Inside Edition: Butt Girl" and "Brazil Butt Lift") for
> >> immediate recording. All three appear to be recording. However, when
> >> I check Tuner 1 I see that it is not. I stop the recording on Tuner 1
> >> (leaving the others recording) and try LiveTV and receive the
> >> following error: "Error opening jump program buffer." The other two
> >> tuners are in fact recording. However, I am able to recreate the same
> >> issue with any of the tuners. For example, the other night I decided
> >> to disable Tuner 1 so that Tuner 2 was the first in line to record.
> >> The next morning same problem. I then disabled Tuners 1 and 2, and
> >> the same problem occurred with Tuner 3 (on slave backend). They all
> >> initially record fine, but fail during a later scheduled recording,
> >> usually after successfully recording the first show.
> >>
> >> Extended Discussion:
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, this started about two weeks ago when I upgraded from
> >> 0.24 to 0.25 on Fedora 16. I use ATrpms to access the packages. At
> >> first I thought it was a power supply problem because we had been
> >> having some power problems in our area and I found my master backend
> >> completely off one morning. However, I believe that was a false alarm
> >> and now it appears to be a software problem. The system was very
> >> stable and recording away happily before the upgrade.
> >>
> >> I have noted that other people have been reporting similar problems
> >> with their PVRs although the descriptons vary a some and many seem to
> >> be focused on LiveTV. We never watch LiveTV, always recorded shows so
> >> I know it isn't a problem solely related to LiveTV.
> >>
> >> See for exampe:
> >>
> >> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-May/333121.html
> >> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/29627
> >>
> >> I did discover that there is a possible fix, but I"m not sure when
> [...]
Hi Mike,
I ran "Delete all capture cards" and had the same results (recording failure).
After some more googling, I shut my server down (not just a reboot), waited a
minute or so and restarted. So far I have been able to record 5 separate times
on that tuner. So I think I am good. I'll observe for a couple of days and
report back.

I managed to break live TV in my Delete all cards process, so I am off to
investigate that.
Mike