[mythtv-users] Storage group question

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Wed May 9 00:02:03 UTC 2012

On 08/05/2012, at 1:27 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

>> I have a lot of TV series ripped to my hard drives.. They are spread over
>> 6 hard drives... They are each in their own folders  like this, Star
>> Trek/Season 1/ name of episode.... I have central folder called TV_Series
>> and all the TV series are linked using symbolic links....This way they are
>> all presented under one menu sorted in alphabetical order... I recently
>> read where this isn't the proper way to do this...My question is how would
>> I get the same results using a different scheme?
>>

> Create the same file structure on each hard drive, "TV_Series" for
> example.  Then, in mythtv setup, add each of these drives as a storage
> group under Videos.  As long as the folder structures match on each drive,
> myth will combine them and show them in the frontend as one single storage
> area.

Guys it sounds awefuly like you don't know how mount works

say /mnt/store ...
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/store/group1
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/store/group2
etc
ie each disc is mounted in the storage tree at the 'right spot'

all done automatically with entries in /etc/fstab
GUI tools depending on your distro eg yast for SuSE

Because this statement is garbage: <Create the same file structure on each hard drive>

Spend some time reading and digesting 'mount'
Also consider my soapbox 'Seagate: ATA more than an interface ...' which argues that having more than a single consumer drive in a box will cause disk failures.
YMMV but the logic is impecable and tales of woe abound.

James