[mythtv-users] Error parsing config.xml?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri May 11 15:21:43 UTC 2012

On 11/05/12 15:11, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/10/2012 03:50 PM, Stefan D wrote:
>> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Stefan D wrote:
>>
>>> I have a little problem that occurred when i updated today. When i
>>> try to
>>> start mythbackend i get:
>>>
>>> 2012-05-10 21:16:03.314086 E [31899/31899] CoreContext
>>> configuration.cpp:67 (Load) - Error parsing:
>>> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml at line: 1 column: 1
>>>
>>> I do have a valid config.xml at that location, i have checked the
>>> settings
>>> and verified that changes does get written to the file. Everyone have
>>> permission to read the file.
>>>
>>> This only happens when i use my upstart script and use "--user
>>> mythtv", if
>>> i start it from the console with only "mythbackend" everything works
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> I have probably missed something obvious, but what? I probably always
>>> had
>>> this problem but it shows now when support for mysql.txt has been
>>> removed.
>> My fault, there wasn't a valid config.xml at that location. Brain freeze.
>>

> Yes, there's an issue with 0.25-fixes that can result in your config.xml
> getting deleted. It's a race condition that's been there for a long time
> (forever?), but that only became apparent due to some major "behind the
> scenes" changes between 0.24 and 0.25.
>
> The fix was too invasive to go into 0.25, so until 0.26 is released,
> you'll just have to watch for issues when starting applications (and
> might want to keep a backup copy of the config.xml for each host to make
> restoring it easier). Or, just modify your start script temporarily
> (you'll definitely want to remove this for unstable/development or 0.26)
> to copy the backup config.xml into place before starting
> mythbackend/mythfrontend. If config.xml is lost while mythbackend is
> running and your mythpreviewgen/mythcommflag/mythtranscode jobs fail,
> you can always restart those jobs after restoring the backup config.xml.
>
> Mike

A script that I submitted some time ago needed editing to provide DB
password etc, and Raymond Wagner suggested using mysql.txt instead. Now
that mysql.txt is deprecated - or worse - it's not obvious to me how I
ought to use config.xml to get the same result;  maybe browsing around
other scripts would help, but can I ask here?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Talk:Mythcutprojectx

John P