[mythtv-users] Back-end Virtualization

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri May 11 18:38:16 UTC 2012

On 5/11/2012 14:13, Zarthan South wrote:
> I have been in IT for more than 30 years and have been through all those
> developments and multitasking. I can tell you after 10 years
> virtualizing servers that modern datacenters would not survive today
> without virtualization.  Please let this die.

No.  Data centers would not survive today without consolidation, and
consolidation without virtualization is a big security concern.

> The original poster wanted to know if he could run Myth in a VM. Whether
> it would work at all or well in their situation isn't known. They alone
> would need to test and evaluate. I know in my testing it
> worked exceedingly well. There are many reasons for running a VM at home
> and if someone has a reason there is no need to confuse the issue. We
> all have our personal religions.

The issue here is one of hardware access.  Unless you're using a network
attached tuner like a HDHomeRun, mythbackend is going to need hardware
access.  This is something that is of zero concern to data center users.
  If hardware access were simple, we wouldn't have people repeatedly
asking in here if it could be done, they would just do it.  So, you have
a bunch of people who are asking to do something virtual machines are
ill suited for, for reasons other than what virtual machines are
intended for.

If you don't need the security that comes with virtual machines, and
your application has needs that cause problems with virtual machines,
don't use use them.  If you still want the ease of management you get
with isolation, you can still do that without the virtual machine.
Build your applications with different prefixes, and play games with the
environment and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Chroot your applications into their
own system install.  Use FreeBSD Jails or Linux Containers for memory
and network isolation.