[mythtv-users] Back-end Virtualization

Rob Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com
Fri May 11 22:47:08 UTC 2012

2012/5/12 Zarthan South <zarthan at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, May 11, 2012  Rob
> Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com via mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> I was hoping somebody would say : ' Hey I got it working on that' and
>> then explain what the trick is to get it working on that hardware and
>> virtualization.
>> But alas.....no such luck
>>
>> Hey if anybody tells me he got pci-passthrough with that specific
>> hardware working with other virtualization software I would seriously
>> consider switching.
>

> PCI passthrough requires hardware support. The simplest method is to
> actually install and see. First see whether the card is recognized within
> the VM. If it is recognized go to the next step and install and configure
> Myth.

Hi thanks for the quick reply,
I thought my proc did have the iommu support that is required for the
pci passthrough to work.
But when I add the pci-card with virt-manager to the guest it refuses
to start and gives me a python error.

Now that I've finally had some time to dig through the logs, I found
this : 'No IOMMU found.  Unable to assign device "hostdev0"'
So either my proc does not support it or I really need to do some
digging in my bios settings to see where I can turn it on.
Well I gotta go, I need to do some more googling to see if I can find
a solution to this or that I must live with the fact that I made a
mistake when selecting my current hardware and wait for it to die on
me so that I can replace it. (I always use my hardware untill it dies
of old age, which is a lot longer than most people expect from a
computer)

Rob