[mythtv-users] WinTV-NOVA-TD-500 issues.

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Sat May 12 23:35:40 UTC 2012

On 13/05/12 00:16, Roger Siddons wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2012 22:01:42 +0100, Alan Chandler
> <alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have long had a WinTV-NOVA-TD-500 operating in my Debian Stable box
>> running mythtv backend.
>>
>> Every so often it would lock up such that the second tuner would no
>> longer by usable by mythtv. I have just recently moved from
>> precompiled 0.24 mythtv to 0.25 which I have installed and I have
>> failed to even record the first program it scheduled in tuner 2.
>> This might be co-incidence, but I rebooted only a couple of days ago
>> to clear the hardware.
> I use a Nova TD 500 and have also experienced tuner lock-ups.
> Interesting that you finger tuner 2 - I've never noted which one fails.
>
> It's early days but 0.25 appears to be a lot better than 0.24 for me.
> The only aborted recording I currently have shows the "I2C" error 2
> mins after the scheduled start time. I haven't come across any other
> error to indicate tuner failure.
>
> 1.20 is the latest firmware. I believe the firmware is only loaded on
> cold start (ie. not a restart) so I don't see how a script could
> achieve that.
>
> Are you sure it is a hardware issue ? I find that restarting the
> backend always clears the problem. However I do use MythWelcome/ACPI
> Wakeup so my system cold starts frequently.

I have found some comments in the Linux4tv wiki which suggests adding
some comments to the /etc/modprobe.d directory in a file.  I had the
first two items in there already, but the third one is supposed to
prevent the usb hub being set to sleep, and I have just added.  I will
see how it goes.  Anyway the contents of

/etc/modprobe.d/dvb_usb.conf

options dvb_usb_dib0700 force_lna_activation=1
options dvb_usb disable_rc_polling=1
options usbcore autosuspend=-1

--
Alan Chandler