[mythtv-users] Back-end Virtualization

Fredrik Hallgårde mythtv at tedde.nu
Sun May 13 21:13:30 UTC 2012

On 05/13/2012 05:53 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:

> > I've been trying hard to ignore this thread, but I failed :-)
> >

> Couldn't agree more. This is getting tedious. Guys, this is a mythtv
> list. Perhaps you could take your visualisation brawl outside so we
> can all get back to the original topic about providing advice on how
> to visualise a mythtv backend.

Things that work (for me):
VMware ESXi 5.0 booting off a USB-key
-1 VM Mythdora 10.21 (obsolete!) with custom kernel modules
("production") (used to be physical box, that died)
--1 dual tuner Nova-T 500 PCI-card connected via USB-passthru (as its
technically a usb-hub + 2 usb-tuners)
--1 USB smartcard reader

-1 VM Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with Mopidy (MPD/Spotify) + Shairport
--USB-dongle to wireless speaker system

-1 VM Vortexbox which "owns" the DVD-recorder

Things that I am testing:
-1 VM Ubuntu 10.04 LTS + mythbuntu repositories 0.24 fixes ("test 1",
"staging")
--1 dual tuner Nova-T 500 PCI-card connected via USB-passthru
--1 PCTV 290e DVB-T2 usb stick

Hardware:
ASUS P7Q57-M-DO Motherboard
-integrated support for remote console (VNC to setup BIOS!)
-VT-x
-VT-d
-Gigabit NIC not supported by Fedora 10
i5 650
8GB memory

Things that don't work and other things to be aware of:
1. SMART monitoring of HDDs does not work
2. A shutdown of a VM does not reset a card to "cold state" (duh!)
3. If you get lousy network speed, check speed both at VM and ESX layers
for duplex/speed issues

Things I would do if time allowed:
1. Find a long term supported distro and install on hw
2. Find a virtualization software that runs on selected distro that do
usb-passthru well, suggestions?
3. Install mysql, nfs, samba and upgraded "Production" backend on hw
4. Migrate VMs over as VMs, keeping old "production" as a support
platform for not yet upgraded friends.

Until then:
1. Utilize a concept I know well to separate stable production from
disruptive testing etc
2. Waste CPU-cycles running multiple full kernels (e.g. use 16% of total
CPU instead of 5%)
3. Keep 1 physical server instead of 3
4. Test new Mythtv-versions while not disrupting "production" - i.e. WAF!
5. Switch to chosen mythtv-version with no hw change
6. Keep proper backups of important stuff (SMART will warn you, not save
you)
7. Continue to learn new things, even if they are "old" (e.g. chroots)

Regards

Fredrik