[mythtv-users] Speed up HLS

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue May 15 19:07:16 UTC 2012

* On Tue May 15, 2012 at 10:56:33AM -0500, Mitchell Gore wrote:
> I initially started out with two CPU's.  And slowly started scaling up to
> 7.  I have 4GB ram on the MythTV host.  I have a total of 16GB on the
> server split accross the two CPU's.
>
> I just dont get why mythtranscode wont 100% peg the CPU's.  I really do not
> want to edit code and manually compile.  I am running Mythbuntu right now.

If you're comfortable inserting a row into the database, you could do
the following instead of changing the code:

INSERT settings ( value, data, hostname )
    VALUES ( 'HTTPLiveStreamThreads', '4', NULL);

and later try 6 with:

UPDATE settings SET data = '6' WHERE value = 'HTTPLiveStreamThreads';

The (currently unconfigurable) default is to only use 2 encoding
threads, so you won't be able to max out all cores.  Changing this
setting above will use 4 and 6 threads for encoding which should
get higher CPU utilization.  HLS support is a work in progress, I have
at least 15-20 things related to HLS on my TODO list.  Expect that
some will be in 0.26 and some will have to wait until 0.27 depending
on how much time I have over the next couple months.

--
Chris