[mythtv-users] Upmixing with 0.25

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Wed May 16 03:45:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 May 2012 14:25, Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm experiencing some problems trying to get audio upmixing working
>> the way I want. First of all, kudos to whoever wrote the built-in
>> upmixing code. I don't know how, but it seems to turn a simple stereo
>> signal into some nice pseudo-surround effects, where all the dialog is
>> through the front/center speaker(s), and music, laugh tracks, etc. is
>> in the surround channels. Unfortunately this is not how I want it to
>> work. I was hoping for a simpler upmixing where the front channels are
>> simply cloned to the rear channels and shared in the center and LFE
>> channels. That way I can use my rear speakers behind my head to hear
>> better without having to crank up the volume. I have had this working
>> perfectly since about version 0.17 using a custom asound.conf
>> (system-wide asoundrc) with the route plugin and ttable into an A52
>> encoder. The problem I'm encountering now is that using a custom
>> asound.conf causes mythfrontend to freeze until the process is killed.
>> The end of the log looks like this:
>
> IMHO, you're better off asking the ALSA user list for this.
>
> and you don't provide any useful log, in particular what is the error
> that caused alsa to fail
>
> you need to start mythfrontend with -v audio
>
> JY

Sorry, sent reply from wrong email address. Apologies if this is a duplicate.

I did do that (-v audio), and loglevel debug on a different run but
the log result was the same--that's all I got. There's no visible
error, it's just a freeze (I left it for about 5 minutes but it never
recovered). I don't believe it's an ALSA problem because as I
mentioned, it works fine with the ALSA tools (speaker-test and aplay).
I forgot to mention that I'm using kernel version 3.4-rc6 (which
includes ALSA version 1.0.25) and alsa-lib and alsa-utils version
1.0.25. Note that I don't necessarily NEED to get my asound.conf
working if there's a way to make Myth do simple upmixing (instead of
the fancy pseudo-surround).

Karl