[mythtv-users] HLS Without Transcoding?

Jack list-mythtv-users at jack.org.uk
Thu May 17 08:04:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 19:23 -0400, George Nassas wrote:
> The HLS code is very new and pretty embryonic.
	<snip>
> That said I think what you're asking for is a great idea. It doesn't seem too difficult to scan through an h.264 video and create offsets which could be used to synthesize HLS segments on the fly. It's all I/O and no compute so it would run super fast.
Ahh, OK as this appeared to be the simplest way of implementing it and
the use-case (to me) was obvious, I had wrongly assumed that it would
have more or less been the first thing implemented. Chris is clearly
targeting a different class of device to me and I have an aversion to
fruit ;)

> On the other hand the audience for such a feature is probably pretty small so as usual in open source we await your patch ;)
Compared to the tablet market, currently yes. Though as more and more
TVs become 'smart' and people upgrade, I would suggest the potential
audience is much larger. I may just go and get my hands dirty - been a
long time since I did anything non-trivial in C :)

Cheers,

jack