[mythtv-users] mythshutdown -l in 0.25

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 17 12:26:29 UTC 2012

On 05/17/2012 07:34 AM, Tom Flair wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 4:02 AM, John Veness wrote:
>> With the upgrade to 0.25, "mythshutdown -l", to prevent the machine from
>> shutting down, no longer works. You have to type the full "mythshutdown
>> --lock" instead. "mythshutdown -u" still works as an alias for
>> "mythshutdown --unlock".
>>
>> I have raised a ticket (http://code.mythtv.org/trac/**ticket/1I would be
>> okay with that.  0722<http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10722>) and
>> started a small discussion on mythtv-dev (http://www.gossamer-threads.**
>> com/lists/mythtv/dev/517539<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/517539>)
>> about this, but it seems that this won't be fixed by the developers.
>>
>> I was wondering what other users thought of this change, and if anyone
>> else, like me, thinks this is a negative change. Probably best to discuss
>> it here on the users list rather than on the dev list, and it certainly
>> should *not* be discussed on the trac ticket.
>>
>> The dev's argument for the change is to have consistency between all myth
>> commands. For other myth commands "-l" is an alias for "--logfile", which
>> is now deprecated, so "-l" brings up a warning instead of performing the
>> action.
>>
>> My argument is that, for mythshutdown specifically, it never used -l for
>> --logfile, it was always for --lock. Muscle memory, user-written scripts,
>> and web pages which refer to "mythshutdown -l", would need to be changed,
>> for (what I think is) no good reason.
>>
>> What do other users think?
>
> Consistency wins, in my book.  If the preferred method for passing
> arguments is to use the long-form (--lock vs -l), and this is being done
> across the board, I'm for it.

The main consistency thing we're going for is "a given argument that's
used for multiple MythTV applications will use the same argument
name/short form with all applications."  So, --logpath is used for all
MythTV applications to set the directory path to which log output is
written.  For a short while, we also had --logfile/-l used on all
applications (including mythshutdown), but those were removed (and the
application shuts down if specified) to force users to update their
scripts when we decided we needed to force users to use --logpath
(because when they used --logfile/-l , we didn't have permission to
write log output for child processes and users who failed to update
their scripts didn't have required log files because they were using
deprecated arguments).

> User scripts and web pages can be easily updated.  Muscle memory, that
> won't win me over.  After a few times of typing it out, you'll forget about
> it.

Or just set up a shell alias for it (or even a script to run it for you).

Mike