[mythtv-users] mythwelcome binds to same udp port as mythfrontend

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu May 17 17:29:11 UTC 2012

On 5/17/2012 12:32, Yianni Vidalis wrote:

> In the process I discovered that on a frontend that is started by
> mythwelcome, it cannot bind the udp port (for mythutil?) to 6948
> because it's already in use. I changed the port to 6949, exited
> mythfrontend and restarted it and it bound ok to the new port.
>
> Upon reboot, it complained that the (new) port is already in use

Port 6548 is the UDP port used by mythmessage. All applications that use
the UI libraries will listen for messages on that port, which will
trigger popups. When MythWelcome is used to start MythFrontend,
MythWelcome has already taken that port, so the UDP listener in
MythFrontend is unable to do so itself. When you changed the port and
restarted MythFrontend, it now successfully listened on the alternate
port, however when MythWelcome was restarted, it too listened on this
alternate port, and you had the same problem you had as before.

If MythWelcome is going to stay along side the new idle behavior in
MythFrontend, I'm going to have to add some mechanism to disable that
when it launches MythFrontend.

> tcp      0      0 localhost:6546        *:*         LISTEN   3093/mythfrontend
> tcp      0      0 localhost:apc-6547   *:*       LISTEN   3093/mythfrontend
>
> By the way, why does it bind to "localhost" and not to the external ip?
> Is this why the networkcontrol doesn't work (I'm trying to use mythmote and it
> fails to connect).

Because you told it to. In mythtv-setup, you configured your servers on
that hostname to only listen on 127.0.0.1. Change it to an externally
accessible IP, or blank it to allow the control socket to decide on its
own where to listen.