[mythtv-users] Request for sticky topic - low power consumption contest

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun May 20 15:06:14 UTC 2012

On 20/05/12 11:34, myLC at gmx.net wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
>> Also Full load and Idle do not show the total picture as
>> i3 systems (depending on the work load) can be more energy
>> efficient than Atom systems since i3s get the same amount
>> of work done much faster and thus return to idle much
>> faster.
>
> In case of watching/recording TV the job is "always the
> same" though. The system has to be ON while watching or
> recording and it has to be SOFT-OFF when waiting. If a
> system has a DSP handling the playback and it's being
> supported by Myth-TV this can be a killer argument which
> affects the power consumption greatly. So, no matter how
> fast your i3-7 is - if the integrated GFX can handle the job
> you're better off - and that power consumption would be what
> matters in the end.

Er, no. If your system is on but sitting at any menu I guarantee that it will be
using a great deal less power than if it is decoding a video and displaying it.
I would even venture to suggest that running an SD video consumes far less power
than running an HD video (video = recorded material of some kind).

Even the bit rate/frame rate is going to make a difference to the power
consumption. You can't say that it is an all or nothing proposition.

--

Mike Perkins