[mythtv-users] MythGallery: "Timed out waiting for frames" playing MJPEG

Raffaele BELARDI raffaele.belardi at st.com
Mon May 21 07:23:59 UTC 2012

On 05/20/2012 10:20 PM, Roger Siddons wrote:
>> On 05/14/2012 09:05 AM, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
>>> After the move to 0.25 playback of the videos recorded from my still
>>> camera in MythGallery is awful: Internal player plays a couple of
>>> seconds, then stops audio and video, then continues, then stops again
>>> and so on. The log is full of "Timed out waiting for frames, and There
>>> are not enough free frames, discarding buffered frames".
>>>
>>> mplayer plays the same files without issues. No problem playing AVIs nor
>>> high quality mkv with Internal player. Live TV is ok.
>
> Yes. I also noticed this a few days ago.
>
> My camera generates MOV files which produce the problems you describe.
> Some of these I have compressed to AVI files (for web posting) and these
> also have the stutter. However other (downloaded) AVI files play perfectly
> in Myth, as do other formats. All these 'problem files' play perfectly in
> VLC and mythffplay.
>
> So is it an issue with MythVideo playing files produced by cameras ?
>
> I used VLC to play these movies in 0.24 but I don't remember why - I must
> have had some issues back then as well.
>
> More worryingly, I can't seem to change the MythGallery player any more -
> it no longer appears to respect the Video File Type settings in 0.25. If I
> copy a camera video to my 'videos' directory it plays using VLC (as
> configured). However the same video in my 'pictures' directory always
> invokes the Internal player.
>
> I've attached a "-v playback --loglevel debug" log. The "60 Hz Display
> Refresh Rate" is alarming (I'm using UK PAL) but it seems to report this
> for playable videos as well, so I'm not sure what this really means.
>
> http://pastebin.com/rKBegn3T

Well, at least I'm not the only one!

Like you I'm unable to specify the player for MythGallery.

Unlike you I was successful re-encoding the MJPEG to MPEG with mencoder:
playback of re-encoded movies is fine in MythGallery, although the video
quality is not as good as the original (but that's a mencoder issue).

I also was using mplayer for camera movies under 0.24 because the
internal player was not able to play them.

In your log there are lots of "Video is xxx frames ahead of audio"
messages, maybe there is a problem decoding the audio? On my camera
movies I think it's 8-bit PCM, mono. I could try to re-encode only the
audio to a more common format (e.g. mp3).

I just noticed that your log contains some errors:

E  ALSA: Setting hardware audio buffer size to 6016
E  ALSA: Error opening /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/prealloc:
Permission denied.
E  ALSA: Try to manually increase audio buffer with: echo 6016 | sudo
tee /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/prealloc
E  ALSA: Unable to sufficiently increase ALSA hardware buffer size -
underruns are likely

Could be related to our problem? I'll check my logs also.

raffaele