[mythtv-users] Request for sticky topic - low power consumption contest

myLC at gmx.net myLC at gmx.net
Mon May 21 11:22:16 UTC 2012

Mike Perkins wrote:
===================
> Er, no. If your system is on but sitting at any menu I
> guarantee that it will be using a great deal less power
> than if it is decoding a video and displaying it.

I got an i5 and playing back HD content via Quick-Sync is a
joke. My guess is that it's somewhere around 0.5 - 1W.

> I would even venture to suggest that running an SD video
> consumes far less power than running an HD video (video =
> recorded material of some kind).
> Even the bit rate/frame rate is going to make a difference
> to the power consumption.

I also got a mobile phone capable of display 1080p via HDMI
cable; should be around 0.5W too. Again – due to dedicated
hardware. SD video has to be up-scaled and interpolated. In
the end the difference is probably small.

> You can't say that it is an all or nothing proposition.

I don't, but doing it (Soft-Decoding) via CPU consumes at
least 10x more. If I activate Soft-Decoding on my mobile
phone I can kiss goodbye to the batteries... ;-)