[mythtv-users] --logfile vs. --logpath

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Mon May 21 17:51:47 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Stephan Seitz
<stse+mythtv at fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 12:43:23PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Of course, we will certainly find other complicated hacks to get standard
> behaviour.

Standard behavior?  There is no "standard behavior" for application logging.

> Buggy = something that doesn’t follow the good old unix way.

Whatever.  The logs are primarily for debugging and tracking what
happened.  They are not really designed for user perusal, as is the
case for nearly every application that logs.  The only time most
logfiles are ever read is to troubleshoot.  In MythTV, this is the
desired (by those troubleshooting) methodology, and we have made it
easy enough for the users to control the size of the contents in the
directory (or from syslog).

> Well, for now I’m using syslog according to your nice examples you quoted.
> It is working but I still consider it a workaround, especially since
> everything was right before 0.25.

No it wasn't "right" before 0.25.  It was quite wrong, in fact.
Logging would slow down the programs by working synchronously rather
than asynchronously.  And the output format was nearly useless in a
lot of places.

> This is bad for distributions as well. How should mythtv be packaged?  With
> logpath and then having a directory with lots of confusing files?  With
> syslog and then try to figure out which facility is not used and how to
> configure the different log daemons (Debian has three at least)?

Well, like it or not, this is how it's going to be.  Mythbuntu has
already setup the syslog part, and that is the distribution that seems
to have the vast majority of users.  The files aren't confusing, they
are just not important for the users in the general case, but only
matter to the user when troubleshooting, at which case, they are far
easier to deal with than digging through one monstrous log.
Especially when it comes to something like mythpreviewgen which can at
times have 8 or more running in parallel.  If the logs were all to one
file, it becomes exceedingly difficult to follow without unnecessary
post-processing.

> This new behaviour makes everything so unnecessary complicated.

Then put in a log rotator, and ignore the directory.  Problem solved.
I don't hear you complaining about the spew most apps put in odd
places.  To the most extent, all that matters (until something breaks)
is that the application runs and does its job.  What internal
mumbo-jumbo happens is like a TV...  no user-servicable parts inside.

Anyways...  Just let it drop, it's not changing :)