[mythtv-users] Has anybody a working copy of Mythrecipe?

Beppo beppo75 at web.de
Tue May 22 06:42:04 UTC 2012

Am Montag, 21. Mai 2012, 12:26:35 schrieb Michael T. Dean:
> On 05/21/2012 10:56 AM, George Galt wrote:
> > On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Beppo wrote:
> >> back in 2008 Kevin Wambsganz worked on the recipe plugin for MythTV but
> >> unfortunately it disappeared before he released his plugin.
> >>

> >> In my opinion it may be useful to increase the WAF and the chance to
> >> build
> >> an other mythbox in the kitchen ;-)
> >>

> >> I don't have the skills to build such a plugin from the scratch, so this
> >> is
> >> just a question from somebody how only help testing...
> >
> > Beppo:
> >
> > At the time, I grabbed a copy of the mythrecipe.  It was on a machine
> > that no longer runs mythtv, so I'll have to go hunt around to see if I
> > still have a tar ball.  However, my recollection was that it was still
> > **VERY** rough and not ready for prime time.  I don't think it would
> > increase the WAF much to use it.
>
> And, FWIW, it would have to be completely rewritten to be usable with
> current MythTV.  Since MythRecipe was last working, we have changed to a
> completely different UI engine for MythTV, so there wouldn't be much
> usable code in the old tarball.
>
> IMHO, the easiest--and best--approach to getting a MythRecipe would be
> to write a brand new one from scratch (ideally with developer(s) who
> have used other recipe managers and have learned from their strengths
> and weaknesses).
>
> Then again, you may even be better off just using an external recipe
> manager (which will still require a computer--on which you could also
> install MythTV) and setting up an entry in your Menu Theme to EXEC the
> other program (at which point MythTV will wait and ignore any
> LIRC/keyboard input, so you don't have to worry about key/button presses
> doing bad things in MythTV while using the other application).
>
> Since we don't currently support watching TV while using any plugins (or
> similar), it's not like you would lose any abilities by using an
> external app.  And, in fact, depending on how you configure the display,
> with an external application, you could have MythTV running in a window
> (or on one screen) while the external recipe manager runs in another
> window (or on another screen), so you could actually watch TV while
> using the recipe manager.  The windows could be tiled or overlapping or ...
>
> Mike

Thanks George and Mike for your reply.

You both are right with your thoughts.
As I mentioned before, I only what to look onto the "old" mythrecipe to
understand how it works. Thanks George for searching of the copy of
mythrecipe!

Mike, I have already a modified menu to open up the browser at a cook website.
But in my concept I want to save all my recipes at at a central place, best in
a database to access the data on every computer in the home network and via
browser over the internet by a mythweb module.

For me, MythTV is more than only watching TV, it more a uniform interface to
access my most wanted contents.

For example the build in rss news reader in MythTV have nothing to do with TV
contents but I don't what to miss this feature.

Best regards

Beppo