[mythtv-users] Back-end Virtualization

Nathan Hawkins nateh at thfcom.com
Tue May 22 15:56:11 UTC 2012

Well...after several attempts I have to say that the Virtualization method I like (Oracle's Virtualbox) is not working with the USB pass-through of the Hauppauge WinTV HVR 950. It installs and sets up just beautifully, however when ya tell it to go watch TV or record something the VM freezes and that's all she wrote...So...that does NOT end my quest for virtualization of the back end. I'm going to try next that HDHR 'dohicky' and see that work.

A couple of questions tho:

I think I've seen a couple of places but I want to make sure...MythTV 'sees' the HDHR during mythtv-setup? Are there any gotchas I need to know about in order to get it to work?

Does the HDHR work with Dish? Any gotchas anyone has to offer to make that work?

If the HDHR works with Dish and works pretty well I was thinking about getting the Dual tuner HDHR and making that do what I want... Any suggestions as to which HDHR people prefer?