[mythtv-users] Brief video judder during playback

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue May 22 18:11:09 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 08:50 +0930, David Farmer wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using MythTV 0.25 on Arch linux with an Nvidia GT 430, and my playback
> set to use VDPAU for all recordings. I have a user job that transcodes all
> recordings to .mkv immediately after recording is finished.
> My xorg.conf uses the option "CustomEDID"
> "DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid_Panasonic.bin" that I saved from nvidia-settings, and
> I only use 3 modes. 1080p at 60Hz, 1080p at 50Hz and 1080p at 24Hz.
>
> During playback (since upgrading to 0.25) I get what seems like a few
> frames dropping (judder) every 5-10 minutes when I view the playback with
> MythTV. However, I do not see the same problem when I view the same .mkv
> file with XBMC. Also, if I rewind the scene in MythTV and view it again I
> do not see the judder.

As a first guess I'd say we are having a similar problem with a similar
cause.  You need to get Myth to use the right video mode.  Little
content is actually transmitted exactly at 24, 50 or 60Hz, so you also
need 59.94Hz, etc.  Thank NTSC's legacy for it, even elsewhere in the
world.

I can get xrandr to switch refresh rates but still can't figure out why
my Myth isn't doing it.  It works for other people with Nvidia cards so
I am still turning knobs, gotta be a way to get it just right.