[mythtv-users] Forced subtitles in mkv DVD rips.

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed May 23 16:14:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Alexander Fisher <alex at alexfisher.me.uk> wrote:
> On 17 May 2012 17:13, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Alexander Fisher <alex at alexfisher.me.uk> wrote:
>>> Either way, I still haven't been able to get my rip of 'The Mummy' to
>>> automatically display the forced subtitle track.  I've tried using
>>> mkvpropedit to flag the relevant track as default as well as forced.
>>> I've also tried including the main english subtitle track as well as
>>> the forced track.  Nothing's worked.  Myth is definitely spotting the
>>> fact that the track is marked as forced (in the OSD it displays
>>> 'forced' in brackets), but it still won't display it without me
>>> manually enabling it.  *If* I was willing to transcode my dvds, I
>>> believe software is available that will hard code subtitle tracks into
>>> the video stream, but this isn't a quality sacrifice I'm willing to
>>> make.
>>
>> If you can open a ticket and include a pointer to a problematic
>> sample, I will take a look.
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10735

It turns out that an entire subtitle track can be marked as forced, or
an individual subtitle in the stream can be marked as forced.  MythTV
was only honoring the forced flag on individual subtitles, though it
was making use of the track-level flag for OSD information.  I don't
know much about MKV versus DVD, but it seems that some (all?) MKV
workflows are just setting the track-level flag.

I just pushed a fix to Master that makes Alex's sample work correctly.
 If that holds up, I'll push it to 0.25-fixes in a few days.

Jim