[mythtv-users] HLS Without Transcoding?

Jack list-mythtv-users at jack.org.uk
Thu May 24 12:32:15 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-23 21:54, Chris Pinkham wrote:>
> As TV's become smarter, shouldn't they be able to handle the input
> file
> directly rather than having to convert into HLS segmented .ts? :)

They certainly can. I have not had much involvement with video over
HTTP other than as a user and had assumed that the HLS approach was the
common and generic way of doing it. The splitting into segments seemed
to be a logical way to deal with seeking within the file and bookmarks.
It seems I had the wrong idea of what HLS is trying to solve - am I
right in now thinking that it is more of a restrictive protocol with
the
aim of off-loading some work from the client device?

If so, my project may end up being a lot simpler than I had thought :)

Cheers,

Jack