[mythtv-users] OT: capture hdmi

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri May 25 06:58:30 UTC 2012

Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

>  > And I seem to recall that the original arguments for HDCP was it would
>>  be used to 'protect' premium HD content and not just used for
>>  everything.  All uses of game play video/images aren't illegal so would
>>  breaking the protection to record it be a gray area?  Sony's infamous
>>  stupidity might be an exploitable flaw.  :)
>
>I seem to recall that at least one game manufacturer claimed
>that the character (images) were copyrighted, and therefore
>might need to be "protected", and any reuse of those
>images might be considered infringing in the eyes of their
>corporate lawyers.  Your jurisdiction will vary.

Doesn't even need that. In the US, the DMCA makes it a criminal
offence to circumvent any technical protection measure - you don't
need to be doing in order to commit any other offence or tort, just
the act of doing it is enough. Even just the act of talking about it
is also an offence - hence why certain topics are not allowed for
discussion here.

Unfortunately, such views are being pushed around the world.

>Rationality not included.

:D
--
Simon Hobson