[mythtv-users] MythWeb over HTTPS using mod_rewrite

Joe Nyland joe at joenyland.co.uk
Fri May 25 15:21:47 UTC 2012

-----Original message-----

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the input.

Yes, I've considered the security risks of running a reverse proxy and I appreciate your concern. I am however denying normal forward proxy attempts and purely allowing *reverse* proxy attempts - i.e. connections from the internet in to my LAN. I could be wrong, but as this is reverse proxying, this does not mean I am leaving an open proxy for the internet to use.
(Don't get me wrong - If I could afford the option of running multiple IP addresses for the few services I run from my home servers, then I would by all means run a dedicated hardware firewall and separate router to secure this *properly*, but unfortunately I haven't, nor do I see the worth in doing this for my own home use :-).)

I'll have a look at the source later on and see if I can spot anything along the lines that you've suggested.

The Wireshark suggestion is a good one - thanks. Would SSL not get in the way of seeing what was actually requested from the client browser though?

Thanks for your help.

Joe