[mythtv-users] Dish Network gets sued over limited commercial skipping ability of it's DVR

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri May 25 16:54:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 11:24 -0500, Mitchell Gore wrote:
> Once potential advertisers see that every one auto skips the ads they
> have to reason to give Fox $$ for the Ads.

The number of different channels has increased exponentially. Mute
buttons have been around for decades. DVR's are now a consumer product.
It's really only a matter of time. The effectiveness of TV ads is
already much less than it used to be. The number of people watching a
given channel has dropped, viewers routinely mute the sound or fast
forward through the ads. Now it's just a bit easier to do the fast
forwarding that they can already do now. I don't see it as such a big
leap.

It does seem like the days of free TV are numbered. There are only a few
shows on that get enough viewership to justify the price for commercials
(popular sporting events such as NFL Football, a few highly-rated prime
time shows). I think what we are going to see (and are already seeing)
is in-show product plugs replacing commercials, and more TV becoming
pay-per-view (or pay-per-channel). Lawsuits like this one could possibly
slow the process down a little, but you can't stop a freight train by
getting on the tracks and pushing.

--Greg