[mythtv-users] Has anybody a working copy of Mythrecipe?

Kevin Wambsganz wambs at verizon.net
Sat May 26 15:57:02 UTC 2012

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Beppo
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:31 AM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Has anybody a working copy of Mythrecipe?

Am Dienstag, 22. Mai 2012, 15:44:45 schrieb Michael T. Dean:

> On 05/22/2012 12:59 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> > I think I may need to seriously look into Gourmet now instead of my

> > current LibreOffice recipe document template...

> Hehe, installing it has been on my TODO list for far too long, now. I

> did, finally, buy a new system and monitor to become my kitchen computer

> (with MythTV and Gourmet), but put deployment on hold because my main TV

> broke, so I'm using the kitchen computer monitor as my TV until I

> finally decided whether to fix or replace the main TV (have decided to

> try to fix it) and get the part I need (should arrive Friday).

> Without Gourmet, I've been using text files and vi, so your LibreOffice

> template is quite a step above mine. :)

> Mike

Hi all

thanks for all the support!

I will try out your suggestions to find the one which suits to my needs.

But I'm right wen I say that we all look forward to have mythrecipe
integrated into MythTV ? Maybe we open up a feature request or something
else ?

Best regards

Beppo

Hello,

There were actually two versions of MythRecipe. The original one was an
older MythTv version with a too complicated database with reading all
recipes into memory when the plugin was started/selected. There was no
mythWeb interface.

I started a different version, where the MythWeb interface would have the
complete functionality, creating/importing recipes, and so on. But the Myth
Frontend, would just be used to view/search recipes, and watch TV while
following the recipe instructions. Creating recipes thru the frontend was
not very practically because I would copy the recipe I wanted from another
window.

There were two of us working on it, I have a rough version for the MythWeb
interface, where I create, search, list recipes. But the importing still was
not complete. My wife sometimes still uses the MythRecipe program. The Front
end version never did get very far. I was not working on that part. The
important thing we found that importing recipes for the sake of it is
wasteful because we had to search for the ones we really wanted and it would
just slow things down. So, we would just manually create, not import,
recipes that we like or maybe would like.

My hope was that the front end and the MythWeb interface would be more touch
screen friendly. Or maybe  a  skin/touch screen version of MythWeb would be
created back a few years ago. This would be very nice for Tablets/smart
phones .  I was also hoping a few years back that the MythTV frontend get
more touch screen friendly as touch screen are better in the kitchen, no
keyboard/mice to get food on and to get in the way. Oh well, things didn't
work out that well for the front end for touch screens.

But I think the other recipe programs mentioned have a better short term
possibility than MythRecipe.

I guess custom Android Myth TV  programs is the future for tablets. Things
are changing fast in the past few years.

I would also like to see MythTV have plugins for home automation stuff, like
Sprinklers, HVAC, Alarm System, Lights/Ceiling fans. But more on that later.

Kevin W.