[mythtv-users] RFE: Put part-watched recordings at the top of the Watch List

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Sat May 26 18:34:00 UTC 2012

Simon Waldman <lists at firecloud.org.uk> wrote on Sat, May 26, 2012 at 06:33:51PM +0100:
> I use the watch list for a lot of my viewing. Sometimes I get part way
> through a recording and have to stop it to go and do something else.
> If this is a programme that is a long way down the watch list, there
> is a chance that when I next set down at the TV, perhaps a day or
> three later, I will forget about the part-watched programme. When I
> rediscover it, perhaps weeks later, I will have forgotten the first
> part and will have to restart it anyway.
>
> I suggest an option that would put recordings at the top of the watch
> list if they have bookmarks and are not marked as watched.

I've been thinking about something similar, and I want to throw my
idea out for discussion as well. I frequently watch recordings across
several sittings, so I often need to navigate back through the
recordings to find the show I'd started earlier (if I even remember
I'd started one). Like Simon, I too would benefit from a convenient
list of partially watched recordings. Unlike Simon, however, I don't
use the Watch List. I've tried it, but its concept just doesn't suit
me. Therefore, my idea is to make the SQL query behind the Watch List
configurable from mythfrontend. To display just the partially watched
recordings, I'd set the query to something like (pseudocode because I
don't know the database structure):

  select * from recorded
      where bookmark=1 and watched=0
      order by daterecorded;

Simon might be able to write a more complex query that would
accomplish his goal of retaining the Watch List behavior while putting
partially watched recordings at the top. Allowing us to specify our
own query would potentially offer more flexibility than the current
baked-in Watch List concept.