[mythtv-users] Fresh install, struggling to change imported db schema

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sun May 27 12:52:55 UTC 2012

On 27/05/2012 12:32, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/27/2012 05:42 AM, Damian wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Here's my story :-)
>>
>> I've had MythTV running on Ubuntu (via the addition of Mythbuntu) for
>> a few years. It's been fine for most of that time.
>>
>> Upgrading to 0.25 broke things (it did a 'partial upgrade') and
>> upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 didn't fix them.
>>
>> I then formatted the file system and home partitions and installed a
>> pure Mythbuntu system. However, I came across the same problem I am
>> about to describe below, and also wasn't keen on a couple of things
>> about XFCE. So, yesterday I installed a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 system.
>>
>> I have added the Mythbuntu packages and managed to import my old
>> database.
>>
>> The problem I'm having is when I click to launch the backend set up,
>> I'm told:
>>
>> "MythTV wants to upgrade your database for the TV schema, from 1276
>> to 1299".
>>
>> I click the relevant buttons to allow this, but it doesn't seem to
>> work, as the next time I click on the back end set up it tells me the
>> same thing.
>>
>> If it helps at all, I'm also seeing this message inside pypmyadmin:
>>
>> "connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed".
>>
>> Any tips?
>
> Need backend log files showing the failed upgrade.
>
> However, I recommend using mythtv-setup to upgrade the database,
> instead of mythtv-setup.
>
> That said, the failure at, specifically, 1277 is almost definitely:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/517981#517981
>
> which means you need to go back to the pre-upgrade database backup
> (the 1264 schema version backup) and restore it properly.  If you
> don't have the 1264 database backup, there will be /much/ more work
> involved in fixing things properly.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. It's not what I was hoping to hear, but thanks
anyway. Knowing where I am is very much appreciated.

The idea of '/much/ more work' being involved in fixing the database is
more than I can deal with. The database always seems to be the thing
that trips me up and even the most apparently basic instructions 'to
someone who knows' needs spelling out in minute details to those of us
who don't.

The database backup that I did manually, after the 'partial upgrade' is
almost 20Mb (it's a .sql file).

I have just looked inside my MythTV 'DBbackups' folder and there are
lots of files in there. Most have names like
mythconverg-1276-20120522192540.sql.gz, but the oldest 5 or 6 have names
like mythconverg-1264-20120429075546.sql.gz

The 1264 in the name gives me some hope, but the file sizes are only
about 4.5mb, so maybe they are not what I'm after. Or maybe that's just
down to the .gz compression?

I don't know. I'm out of my depth and this has been going on for 3 weeks
now. I can see 3 options:

1) Someone can see a simple solution and say "Damian, you just need to
type "$please be nice mysql" and it will all work fine".
This feels like it has about a 5% probability.

2) I find someone that I can pay to fix this for me.
Any takers, or suggestions of anyone that could help?
If so, how much would it cost?

3) I say goodbye to MythTV.
This would be upsetting after so many years with Linux and MythTV, but I
just don't have time for this any more and I don't want to have a system
that I need to be constantly learning more tech to support it.

If options 1) and 2) are either fruitless or expensive, does anyone know:
a) the best PVR for Windows and
b) if the nuv files I have can be converted to something more user
friendly without having a functioning MythTV system running them.

There are a couple of videos from when the kids were on TV that I would
really hate to loose. I also have lots of recodings of my Animation work
that has been on TV. The problem is, there are lots of other recodings
too and all have meaninless file names. Oh how I wich I had prioritised
backing them up!

Thanks everyone
Damian