[mythtv-users] Option to Record As Much as It Can

Roger H mythtvuser1818 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 15:00:45 UTC 2012

I have often wanted an option in the case of a conflict, to have a
recording rule record as much of the program as it can instead of not
recording it at all.  One frequent example is I have a rule to record the
news at 10:00pm every night, but occasionally an earlier program (on a
different channel) will run until 10:01 and if my other tuner is otherwise
occupied, the news won't get recorded.  In this case I would rather loose
the first minute of the news than not record it at all.  Now I can manually
intervene, but that means finding the conflict and then doing something
about it.  It would be nice if this could be done automatically.

Now I realize you wouldn't always want to do this, so it should be a
recording option and not something it always does.  It should give you a
warning that it will be doing this when looking at upcoming recordings
(Conflict-Will partially record) and that a recording is incomplete in the
list of recordings.

In a perfect world it would also  cut out the middle of a long recording if
necessary (for example, I would rather record the first and third period of
a hockey game, than not record it at all).

What are peoples thoughts?