[mythtv-users] Edit a theme menu screen

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Wed May 30 03:03:14 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm using MythCenter-wide theme and want to add very simple additional
> menu
> >> item with EXEC action but not sure how to do it for this particular
> theme. I
> >> read about adding button in the mainmenu.xml file but that file doesn't
> >> exist for this particular theme
> (/usr/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter-wide
> >> directory) or I'm looking in wrong place. Or maybe all themes use the
> same
> >> mainmenu.xml file but parse that file differently? I would appreciate
> any
> >> directions regarding this. Although this might be a question for the
> >> developers list so please let me know if that's the case.
> >
> > You don't need to modify the theme. You need to modify the menu theme.
> > Menu themes are different. They are in the same folder (for me, it's
> > /usr/local/share/mythtv/themes) with names like defaultmenu, DVR,
> > classic, and mediacentermenu.
>
> Also, you can create or copy one of the menu theme files into
> ~/.mythtv/ and the frontend will pick up that file instead, so you
> don't have to modify any installed files.
>
> Jim

Thanks guys, I'll go with the option of copying the file to my myth user
home and editing it there. I saw those files initially but was not sure
which one to change since none of them matched the main menu content I see
in the theme?!?! Should I copy over and edit all of them or
the mediacentermenu is the right one? It's not a big deal but just trying
to understand which theme uses which file. I guess I should change all of
them if I want to make the change global.

Thanks again for the help.
Igor