[mythtv-users] What is being worked on for 0.26?

nospam312 nospam312 at gmail.com
Wed May 30 20:09:30 UTC 2012

I did not expect to open a can of worms.

This is my vision (or dream if you like) hopefully explained a bit better.

(Really simplifying now - I get it this would be a huge task)

When I originally suggested that Recordings and Videos are combined I
was thinking the Recordings could be tagged with "Recordings" and
Videos tagged with "Videos".

Videos and Recordings have very similar data and I suspect and with a
few differences here and there they have a very similar interface to
the user.  This would allow Myth to be maintained and upgraded easier
and make the overall experience to the user simpler.

If we have this tagging system in the theme you could display a button
for a "listing" for tag "recordings".  You could display a button for
a "listing" for tag "Videos".  This could all be combined into a
screen where the tags to display would also be fully selectable also.
I would define a button for a "listing" for tag "Videos and
Recordings" giving me my combined listing.  Nothing is lost but
everything is gained!

The options are infinite - I could have tags for "User1" and "User2".
I could then in a theme display a button for a "listing" for tags
"recordings and user2" and perhaps with a specific option of "locked"
which would mean the tags can't be changed meaning this install/user
of mythfrontend would only be able to see these specifically tagged
recordings and nothing else.

I could even go as far to say yes lets include music also.  You can
play music, pause it, fast forward it, if you have a graphic equaliser
or other visualisation (cover art) it even has a visual aspect just
like a video - it is very similar to Videos/Recordings.

Other special tags could replace Storage Groups, Recording Groups and the rest.

A single screen that allows you to view tagged "stuff" (perhaps music
but currently that may be taking it too far) is a huge change but I
think if it is done correctly with the necessary display options it
would make MythTV out of this world!