[mythtv-users] Channel tuning broken in 0.24

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Thu May 31 23:41:51 UTC 2012

On 31/05/2012 3:42 PM, Igor Cicimov wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 05/31/2012 12:53 AM, Michael Watson wrote:
>
>         On 31/05/2012 11:45 AM, Igor Cicimov wrote:
>
>             I noticed that after upgrade to Mythtv 0.24 the channel
>             tuning is awful. I'm using Leadtek DVB-T DTV2000H (using
>             the digital receiver only) and the card was working fine
>             for years on 0.20 and later for couple of months on
>             0.23-fixes. After upgrade to 0.24-fixes it can't scan half
>             of the DVB-T channels in Sydney and recording on it is
>             practically impossible. The distro is Mythbuntu 10.04 with
>             the latest kernel from the repo (which I think is 2.6.35
>             but not sure I'm not at home now to check).
>
>             What has changed in Mythtv to affect this card so badly?
>             Anything I can do to improve the performance? And yes, I
>             tried deleting all the cards,inputs,sources etc in the
>             backend and recreating again but no changes. Or maybe the
>             kernel driver cx88xx in the latest kernels does not play
>             good with this card any more?
>
>             Before rolling back to 0.23 I'll try to check the card
>             performance outside Mythtv. In meantime, any suggestions
>             to solve this highly appreciated.
>
>         I had to increase the Tuning Timeout.  3000ms seemed to work
>         well for me in Melbourne.
>

>     Good advice.  I highly recommend a minimum of 3000ms/5500ms for
>     tuning and signal timeouts.
>
>     Mike

> Yep that's also one thing that I tried. I had them set to 6s and 10s
> respectively which didn't happened at all, it just made scanning the
> whole channel range last longer.
>
> Any other ideas? I'll try 0.25-fixes tonight if I have some time, I've
> read the LiveTV has been much improved in this release.
>
> Thanks,
> Igor

When C31 first went digital, I was unable to successfully scan using
mythtv, in order to get it to scan, I had to use w_scan to create an
'initial tuning-data' file, then use scan (from dvb-utils) to create a
channels.conf file, then import the channels.conf file into MythTV.
Once this process was complete, it all worked fine.   But at some point
there was an issue with channels.conf import into MythTV I believe, not
sure if it has been fixed or not in 0.24.

Another option, if you have another card, is to use the non Leadtek card
to do the channel scan, and connect the Leadtek to the same video source.

Michael